Stay Informed: Covid-19 Business Resources
The Antigonish Chamber of Commerce is closely monitoring and assessing the resources that are becoming available locally, provincially and federal. We are here to advocate for access to support, resources and tools for our business community.
As business owners, employers, employees and citizens, the rapidly changing situation with Covid-19 can cause worry, concern and confusion. Below you can find resources that will help support you through these uncertain times.
If there is something missing from this resource page or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
NEW! May 27 Preparing to reopen:
As we prepare to reopen, we still need to work together to prevent the spread of Covid-19. If you are a business or organization please review the following link about what you can and need to do to open up.
COVID-19 Government Relief Programs for Business
On March 25, 2020, the federal government passed legislation that would provide support for millions of Canadians who are impacted by the economic effects of COVID-19. The total package is worth $107 billion – including $52 billion for direct support payments and $55 billion in tax deferrals – which is a significant increase from the original $82 billion price tag that was initially introduced last week.
- UPDATED April 30: Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small businesses provides much needed relief for small businesses experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19. It offers forgivable loans to eligible commercial property owners so that they can reduce the rent owed by their impacted small business tenants by at least 75% for the months of April, May and June, 2020. More details visit: https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/finance-and-investing/covid19-cecra-small-business
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2020/04/expanding-access-to-the-canada-emergency-response-benefit-and-proposing-a-new-wage-boost-for-essential-workers.html
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/subsidy/emergency-wage-subsidy.html
- Wage Subsidy Calculator: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/subsidy/emergency-wage-subsidy/cews-who-eligible-employer.html
- BDC Support for Canadian Businesses: https://www.bdc.ca/en/documents/special-support/covid-19-supports-for-canadian-businesses.pdf
- 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/campaigns/covid-19-update/frequently-asked-questions-wage-subsidy-small-businesses.html
- Rural Businesses and Communities: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/icgc.nsf/eng/h_07662.html
- Assisting Innovative and Early-Stage Businesses: https://nrc.canada.ca/en/research-development/research-collaboration/nrc-covid-19-programs
- Young Entrepreneurs: https://www.futurpreneur.ca/en/
- Work Sharing Program: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/corporate/notices/coronavirus.html#h4.04
- Application Now Open: Small Business Reopening and Support Grant: $25 million fund that will provide grants to help small businesses open safety and business continuity vouchers for advice and support to become more resilient in the coming months. More information will be at https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/small-business-reopening-support-grant/
- NEW! May 19th: Virtual Business Support Hub: The provincial government announced that it is partnering with Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) to offer education, training and guidance for small businesses. Through a central online hub, the program will connect businesses across the province with support programs available through post-secondary institutions, government, and other regional organizations.
- NEW! May 7th: Mental Health and Wellbeing: Support for mental health and addictions is available for children, youth, and adults. You can get help by phone, online or by virtual care. In-person help is available if a clinician determines it’s necessary
- NEW! May 7th: Nova Scotia Business Consultant: Nova Scotia Business Inc (NSBI) will be launching a Consultant Directory to help companies connect with consultants to address immediate challenges
- NEW! COVID-19 Small Business Credit and Support Program as a temporary stream so that small businesses negatively impacted by COVID-19 have access to credit, cash grants, and support. The program will be delivered through participating credit unions and available starting Wednesday, April 29. Deadline to apply for short-term support is June 30th.
- Learn more: https://honestmoney.ca/nsbusinessrelief
- Worker Emergency Bridge Fund: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/worker-emergency-bridge-fund/
- Procurement Opportunity: https://procurement.novascotia.ca/ns-tenders.aspx
- Small business Rent Deferral Program: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/support/
- Measures to Help Vulnerable Nova Scotians: https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20200319004
- Town of Antigonish, Town Public Works Building and Municipality of the County of Antigonish offices are closed to the public until further notice. Essential services will not be disrupted which includes power, water, sewer, and curbside pickup.
- Town of Antigonish:
- Waiving interest on any outstanding tax balances until June 30, 2020
- Waiver of interest or penalties on any past due Water and Electric accounts until June 30, 2020
- Suspension of any disconnection services for non-payment for Water and Electric customers until June 30, 2020
- For more information : https://townofantigonish.ca/news/812-toa-deferral-notice-final/file.html
- Municipality of the County of Antigonish
General Stay Informed
It is important to stay informed through proper communications channels. For regular updates on COVID-19 please visit the following sources:
- Province of Nova Scotia
- Government of Canada
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Nova Scotia Health Authority
- 811 Nova Scotia
- World Health Organization
- When to call 811 about Covid-19